Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Exonerated after serving 8 years for 2013 murder, a 26-year-old is indicted again in a NYC shooting -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Exonerated after serving 8 years for 2013 murder, a 26-year-old is indicted again in a NYC shooting
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:11:23
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who was exonerated after spending eight years in prison for a murder has been charged again — in a different fatal shooting.
Shamel Capers,Poinbank Exchange 26, was indicted Tuesday on charges including attempted murder in connection with a July 23, 2023, shootout between two groups of young men in Queens that resulted in the death of Joshua Taylor, 19.
Dante Hunter, 25, who police say was the first to draw his gun, was charged with murder in Taylor’s death, and a third man, Damone Miller, 21, was charged with attempted murder.
All three men were jailed without bail pending their next court appearances.
Capers’ arrest came a year and a half after his conviction was vacated for the murder of 14-year-old D’aja Robinson.
D’aja was riding on a bus when she was caught in the crossfire in a gang dispute in May 2013, authorities said. Capers was convicted largely on the testimony of a gang member who said he saw Capers shoot at the bus.
Capers, who was 15 when D’aja was shot, always maintained his innocence but was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. His efforts to walk free were boosted when the witness who had named him as the gunman recanted.
Capers’ conviction in the 2013 shooting was thrown out in November 2022 after the Queens district attorney’s office’s conviction integrity unit spent two years reinvestigating the case.
“For there to be justice in the criminal justice system, and public faith in its outcomes, it is incumbent upon us as prosecutors to follow the facts to wherever they lead,” District Attorney Melinda Katz said at the time.
Katz said in a statement after this week’s indictment, “In the case of D’aja Robinson’s murder, an exhaustive investigation and newly discovered evidence led us to conclude that Shamel Capers had been wrongfully convicted. The court agreed and the conviction was vacated.”
She added, “Nothing will shake our resolve to remove illegal guns and those who use them from our communities.”
Capers’ attorneys, Elizabeth Geddes and Nadia Shihata, said in a statement, “Shamel has pled not guilty to the current charges, is presumed innocent, and intends to vigorously defend himself in a court of law.”
Attorneys for Hunter and Miller did not return calls seeking comment.
veryGood! (4991)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Morocoin Trading Exchange: Support for MSB License Regulation.
- Serbia police detain at least 38 people as opposition plans more protests against election results
- Serbia police detain at least 38 people as opposition plans more protests against election results
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- 'Big mistake': Packers CB Jaire Alexander crashes coin toss, nearly blows call vs. Panthers
- Serbia police detain at least 38 people as opposition plans more protests against election results
- Southwest Airlines cancels hundreds of flights, disrupting some holiday travelers
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Restriction on carrying guns in Omaha and Lincoln violate Nebraska law, lawsuits say
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Is it smart to hand over your email address and phone number for discounts?
- Taylor Swift's Dad Bonds With Travis Kelce's Father at Kansas City Chiefs Christmas Game
- 4 young children and their mother were killed in their French home. The father is in custody
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Octopus DNA reveals Antarctic ice sheet is closer to collapse than previously thought: Unstable house of cards
- Fact-checking 'Ferrari' movie: What's accurate, what isn't in Adam Driver's racing film
- Death toll rises to 18 in furnace explosion at Chinese-owned nickel plant in Indonesia
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Beyoncé's childhood home in Houston burns on Christmas morning
Did You Know These Real-Life Couples Have Starred in Hallmark Channel Movies Together?
Migrants cross U.S. border in record numbers, undeterred by Texas' razor wire and Biden's policies
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
King Charles III talks 'increasingly tragic conflict around the world' in Christmas message
At least 140 villagers killed by suspected herders in dayslong attacks in north-central Nigeria
Trump's lawyers ask appeals court to rule on immunity in late-night filing